Monday, February 23, 2009

And The Oscar Goes To... Me!

Growing up, I think I practiced my Oscar speech at least a millions times holding a million different items as a statue. It was something I dreamed about and every time there is another award ceremony, I still feel a little sense of excitement inside.

Last night's awards went pretty much as expected with, "Slumdog Millionaire" taking home most of the honors and I loved the film, thought it was great, but in the history of the Oscars, I thought in general this years selections were pretty weak overall.
Now once I became a filmmaker and started to really get into more independent stuff, I started wondering how fun it would be to win an "Independent Spirit Award."

The ceremony seems so much more laid back and fun... at least it use to, it's not quite the Oscars yet, but it's become more stuffy over the years and the films becoming more mainstream. But I still think it would be great to do it up and win one. The Saturday event is one I hope to experience up close and personal.

The one thing I have learned over the years is that I really, really love making movies even more and while it's nice to win an award every now and then, the whole process of the project and the friends you make during it is really the most important thing.

No comments: