Sunday, July 27, 2008

How Many Hats Can I Wear?


One of the things I love and hate about being an Independent Filmmaker... the amount of work you have to do outside of actually making films.

Now don't get me wrong, I love having the control over everything... some of that is the Virgo in me, but it can get to you some times when you're writing, working on marketing, trying to do distribution, looking for money, maintaining your web site, blogging, company diaries, reading articles, trying to stay on top of things... and without question I'm still probably leaving off about 10 to 20 other things I have to do on a regular basis.

There is a part of me that hopes one day, my company expands enough so that I have "people" to do more and more of these things. But at the same time, I know I'll have my hands in everything because that's just who I am.

However while I will have a say in everything, I do believe in putting together a great team and letting them have the flexibility to be creative and do their own jobs without me micro-managing. When you look at and talk to the casts and crews who've worked with me in the past I think they all will tell you, having that freedom to add their own touches is something that makes working with me fun. Hey I don't have every idea in the world and trust me not all of my ideas are good ones!

When you work with great people, you have to allow them to do, "their thing," otherwise you have a project that doesn't have life. (This is all in my estimation) Some of the best films I've seen are the ones where you see a clear vision, but ones that allow everyone to bring something to it and make it special to them as well.

OK, back to the premise of this whole entry... wearing many hats... time to put on the writing hat and get back to working on my new script!

Ciao, Ciao!

No comments: