Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Double Your Pleasure




*** 1/2 09.29.08 - The Aviator... 2004 ... Director Martin Scorsese

OK, this may not be Martin's best film ever, but it certainly is a good film. Leonardo DiCaprio stars with Kate Beckinsale stealing the show as Katharine Hepburn. The film, based on the life and times of Howard Hughes, gives us an insight into the man and his love of films, flying and his battle with OCD.

The DVD is great, tons of extras and for the extras alone it's worth a purchase!

*** 1/2 09.30.08 - 25Th Hour... 2002 ... Director Spike Lee

In an effort of full disclosure, I am a huge Spike Lee fan! (And no we're not related) He's one of my icons of film and one of the reasons I do what I do. I've seen just about everything he's done and for me this ranks up there as one of his best films ever.

First the cast is outstanding: Ed Norton, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Anna Paquin, Barry Pepper and Rosario Dawson just to name a few.
Rodrigo Prieto shot the film and it has a texture and feel about it that I love, rich with color and emotion. Unfortunately Spike DID throw in his standard "Dolly" shot where it looks like someone is floating... I hate that shot by the way, but other than that it's a beautifully shot piece.

The soundtrack is haunting, the theme of the film interesting and the final sequence of the film touching... true "man-love" which is OK! (See Shawshank Redemption and you'll get my point)

What also makes this film powerful is that it was the first big film shot right after "9/11" and you get a sense of the city of New York and the emotions and what people were going through during this time.

The DVD has a few extras and it's a nice pick up to add to your collection!

No comments: