Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What Gets You Off?

I know... an odd title to this blog entry, but some times you just have to say, "What the F*&&!" (See "Risky Business" for that quote)

As I was thinking about what to write, since I haven't written in awhile, I started to think about my viewing habits and what I'm watching. Yes I list most of it on here to give you a feel of some of the things I look at, but I really started to think about what's been turning me on lately and the more and more I thought about it, the more and more I come back to cable television. Yep that's right, good old cable.
Now back in the day, there were always good, innovative shows on the air. Those shows that broke new ground, things like "M-A-S-H," "LA Law," "Miami Vice," "Homicide: Life on the Streets," "Law and Order." Really good shows that had long runs on TV... "Law and Order," still going strong and it was fun to watch. But over the years, Cable... places like HBO, Showtime and AMC have come up with some amazing shows: "Entourage," "Californication," "Mad Men."

Right now that's were most of the innovation is coming from right now. Cable, a place where shows can take some chances. Now they're not necessarily re-writing the history books when it comes to format, but they are in terms of the quality of the shows. From the writing, to the production, the performances. All of the shows mention and many others on these same networks have these elements within.




I sit on my couch and watch an episode of "Mad Men," for example and love it. Yes I often time find myself smiling, getting giddy in the middle of the show and at the end of it saying, "Damn... that was some good stuff!"

Who knows, maybe one day I'll get a chance to work on a show like these or others... something special and I'll be able to look back and see the great work that I and others have accomplished, but until that happens, hats off to those who do work in this area of film and television, because right now... you're hitting the ball out of the park and I love watching what you're serving up!

No comments: