Saturday, September 19, 2009

Back Home

Well I am back from LA and look what was in the mail!

A 4th place finish in the SkyFest II festival for my new screenplay. OK so I didn't win it, but the project, "Student's Teacher," did win something and it has given me a little hope to send it out to a couple of other fests.

So Los Angeles was wild! It was non-stop from the time I landed, on my birthday the September 14th, through my flight back on Friday. I think I had at least two meetings a day, some times more!

I learned so much about "the business" out West and how you become a player for "real" in their world. Hopefully some of the lessons I learned will help me in the future. Now I'm not one to do a lot of name dropping, but I want to send out a special thanks to the folks at Warner Brothers, TNT, and HBO for giving me some of the best career advice I've ever had!

While I was on the Left Coast, I did get to do some fun things, including eating at a couple of my favorite hot spots and catching up with fellow Memphis Filmmaker Tony Flessas.

I've mentioned him before and right now he's living the dream! He's taking a shot and no matter what, you've always got to respect that. I hung out with him and his producing partner, "Bogey" in North Hollywood for a late lunch/early dinner.

When it was all said and done and I returned home, wouldn't you know it, my cable was down, they can't come and fix it for 4 days and half of the things that I had set to be recorded on my DVR... not recorded. Nothing like being hit in the mouth with reality right off the bat!

No comments: