Tuesday, February 2, 2010

And the Oscar/Independent Spirit Award Goes to???

I've mentioned this before, growing up I really wanted to win an Academy Award. There was something about watching the show on the East Coast in Brookline where I grew up and dreaming about being a filmmaker and being called up to the stage to accept the statuette and to try to say something kind of funny and touching that folks would remember forever.

Before my daughter, I always promised my Mom I would take her to the ceremony. I was young and innocent and movies were pure magic and I loved the whole idea of everything about them.

I still feel that way to a certain extent, but now lean more towards really wanting to win an Independent Spirit Award... dressing in something cool, yet casual and bringing my teenage daughter to the event so we can rub elbows with a clever mix of the old and new cool Hollywood... I know they claim to be indie, but there is still a ton of Hollywood involved. I mean when a small indie film is considered $17 Million dollars... it's still pretty Hollywood if you ask me.

But still, it would be great to be there... and like my Oscar speech, I've honed my Indie Spirit Award speech as well and if it doesn't get me in all of the clips of the night... it will definitely get me a date and a job out of winning! lol

As the Oscar nominations were unveiled today, the Indie Spirit nominations awhile back I still get that special feeling inside that I had as a little kid. That sense of excitement, like I can't wait until Santa arrives on Christmas eve. And at the same time, I am reminded that I don't make films because I want to win awards. I make films because I love the magic of it all. I make movies because I truly love to do it. I hope, maybe one day someone will see one of my films and use that as inspiration to go on and make their own film... to say to themselves, "Yes I can make films."
I wish all of the nominees all of the luck in the world, it IS an honor to be nominated... but to all of those out there making films who weren't nominated for anything and who make films because you love them and love the process... Congratulations... It's a honor to be a part of your fraternity!

No comments: