Saturday, August 2, 2008

As Good As It Gets... Homicide: Life on the Streets

A couple of weeks ago, I went online and picked up the first 4 seasons of, "Homicide: Life on the Streets" and I've been watching it again. (I'm at the start of the third season, second episode)

Now I loved the show when it came out on NBC and probably have seen every episode 3 or 4 times, but getting it on DVD and watching the progression, from episode one, season one to now, I am reminded just how good that show really was.

The acting is amazing, Andre Braugher in particular stole the series for me as Frank Pembelton. Then the look of the series; raw, gritty, graining, jumpcuts and edits, the use of music in places you never expected and then just the overall soundtrack... folks if you haven't seen the series or seen it in awhile, pick it up and you will flip for the series.

Let's not forget the great writing in the series and guest performances as well. Finally there is the texture of Baltimore itself. The city is a character in this masterful series and makes a huge impact on how everything came together.

Not only did I pick up the series because I love it, but also as a reference. When I start to think about a project and how I might want to develop it, I like to look at other inspirations in any form and for me, this series is a true inspiration.

I don't know how much of my next project will be influenced by the series, I do know other films have used bits in pieces from the show before, but I am just gratefull to re-watch what I believe is truly one of the best television series of all time!

No comments: