Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dinner Anyone?

*** 1/2 8.14.08 - Melvin Goes to Dinner... 2003... Director Bob Odenkirk

I actually stumbled onto this film, many years ago in a Blockbuster. I read the title and bought it sight unseen and boy am I glad I did! This is a funny, warm, interesting film based on a play by Michael Blieden's, who also stars in the movie, called, "Phyro-Giants!" (One day I will direct this play, it's really good)

The film is a classic Indie, done for not a lot of money, but with amazing performances. Stephanie Courtney and Annabelle Gurwitch, both are amazing and are two actors I hope I get the chance to work with some day. There is a vibe to the film I really dig and some other really good cameos by actors such as, Jack Black, Jenna Fischer, and Maura Tierny.

I've own the DVD for awhile, but finally really looked at some of the extras and they're pretty good! Some stuff from the original play and then a mocu-mentary on the "Frank Film Festival," with SNL's Fred Armisen.

No special effects, a good story, with great performances. I own it for a reason!

No comments: