Thursday, March 26, 2009

Catching Up

** 1/2 03.25.09 - 9 1/2 Weeks... 1986... Director Adrian Lyne

When I was in college, this was the hot film of it's time. There was so much sex in it that it was almost an X rated film! No one ever wanted to admit that they had seen it, but a lot of people did or at least said they did. That was then, this is now...

Wow, the film looks and feels dated in so many ways. Yes it pushed the boundaries back then, but now it doesn't seem as dynamic as it was then. Kim Basinger and Mickey Rourke lead the film and are OK in it, but over the years it's lost it's steam... it's heat... it's cache.



** 1/2 03.24.09 - YPF... 2007... Director Martin Geros

Saw this film on Netflix, it was described as, "The tales of four couples -- and one bold trio -- are explored in candid and hilarious detail in this fresh Canadian comedy." So I thought I would give it a shot.

It's an interesting film, hits you right in the face from the word go and for the most part is pleasant. The performances are interesting and the subject matter, sex and relationships was pretty typical. As soon as I figured out the basic structure of the film... within the first 10 minutes, I could have finished the film myself.

The DVD doesn't come with anything extra and that's a pity.

All in all, if you don't have to pay for it... or pay a lot for it and you want something light, occasionally funny and some times a little interesting then check it out, but I think you can probably find other choices.


** 03.24.09 - Center Stage... 2000... Director Nicholas Hytner

OK, not a film that will set you on fire or win any awards, but it was a fun little sweet film about dance. I used to teach high school and had several students who were into dance and loved this film, so when it was on cable the other day, I actually stopped and watched as I was spinning through the channels. I was only going to watch for a minute, but ended up watching the whole film. Call me silly, but I did it for my old students and smiled.





**** 1/2 03.23.09 - Cinema Paradiso... 1988... Director Giuseppe Tornatore

I remember seeing this film, many, many years ago and loved it in the theaters and still love it today. Giuseppe Tornatore does an amazing job telling the story of a young boy and his connection with film, specifically the relationship between the boy and the projectionist in a small town in Italy.
For someone who loves films and can remember saving up his allowance and going to the theater on Saturday morning, I relate to this story on so many levels.

The DVD comes with extras and the director's cut of the film, which is a little longer than the U.S. theatrical release. The DVD is great!

For me, this film makes me feel warm inside and reminds me of my youth and my passion for filmmaking.

No comments: