Sunday, March 22, 2009

One Good... One Not So Good Treat

** 03.19.09 - Humboldt County... 2008... Directors Darren Grodsky and Danny Jacobs

I had hoped for so much from this film considering I went to grad school for a while in Arcata at Humboldt State and then lived and worked there for some time as well. I love the area and miss it a lot, so when I saw this film and how it was described I thought great! When I got the film and watched it, I was disappointed.

The cast is a very good one with Peter Bogdanovich and Frances Conroy. Grodsky and Jacobs are first time directors, who clearly had some big time money attached to the project, but still missed it.

The film deals with a culture and life that does exist in reality, but they missed the mark on so many things and left me missing the real Humboldt County even more.

The DVD has a lot of extras, including a behind the scenes piece and special marketing piece shot with the two directors that was not funny at all!

The film gets two stars from me first because of the location and the feelings it evokes for me and the second star because I respect anyone who gets a film made.


**** 03.16.09 - Napoleon Dynamite... 2004... Director Jared Hess

This film caught everybody by storm and when you look at it again, it's still a very good film. The characters are well drawn, quirky and very funny. Jon Heder is phenomenal leading the way playing "Dynamite."

There are moments when you know exactly what these young kids feel like, despite how awkward they act. It's just a fun film from start to finish.

The DVD has a couple of extras, nothing big, but it's a nice package. See the film and there will probably be at least one or two moments that will hit home.

No comments: