Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Kids Films Are Fun Too!


*** 1/2 - 09.08.08 - The Sandlot... 1993... Director David Evans

This was a very, very good kids film that had a little bit of everything for everyone. The performances are solid, the story funny and although little girls might not identify with it as much, the film does capture a more innocent slice of time that many remember growing up.

My favorite moment in the film takes place, not in the sandlot where the kids play baseball for what feels like days on end, but the pool... I'll simply leave it at that.

I've watched this film with kids, adults and by myself and it still holds up. As for the DVD extras, there are some. There is the typical big studio "featurette" that I always tend to dislike and not because it shows you some behind the scenes stuff, which I LOVE, but because it's so studio like and over produced. I'm always trying to see how an artist or group of artist put something together and studio featurette's tend to give you just what the studio wants you to see for marketing purposes.

I will also warn you that there is a trailer for the next Sandlot... I think they actually made three Sandlot movies, but none of them are worth renting at all and when the trailer for the second one comes up and it's a straight to DVD release, I think you get a sense at just how bad it really is.

So for what it's worth, pick up the Sandlot if you have kids and you want to share the film experience with them or pick it up if all you want is a good, fun film that will remind you of your youth.

No comments: