Monday, September 29, 2008

One Of The Five!!!


***** 09.24.08 - The Band Wagon... 1953... Director Vincente Minnelli


This is one of the top five films that have affected my life... it's that good! When I was a kid growing up, my mother and father used to love to watch old Hollywood musicals and I would watch them right with them and fell in love with this film. I know "Singing in the Rain," "An American in Paris," and "West Side Story," are all great musicals, but for me... day in day out this film is the best of them them all!
Vincente Minnelli does a fantastic job of telling this story and showcasing, for my money again, the best song and dance man of his time, Fred Astaire. You watch Astaire in this role and you will fall in love with the musical genre. He makes it all look effortless and the last sequence of the film is phenomenal!

Oh and for a DVD, this one is great too! Lots of extras, great interviews worth spending a day or two looking at it all!

No comments: