Monday, April 6, 2009

Another Double Feature

**1/2 04.03.09 - Synecdoche, New York... 2008... Director Charlie Kaufman
I am not a huge fan of Charlie Kaufman and his storytelling. Now maybe it's just me, but he spends so much time trying to be inside of a dream that I think it gets lost on the screen.

I hadn't really heard about this film, until I was watching the "Independent Spirit Awards," and it won for best ensemble cast. At the head of the cast is Phillip Seymour Hoffman, who I love watching and love to see him work. Catherine Keener is in this and Emily Watson, showing off her bod... I like!

As for the film in general, I do think Kaufman gets lost again. There are moments that are really good but then far too many moments when you're straining to stay with the picture.

The DVD has some really good pieces on the making of it and some of the thought process behind the film, so that helped a lot.

But if you're going to sit down and watch this piece, be prepared to really concentrate and follow along otherwise you'll miss a little piece of the story and that will set you back and down the road of hating the film altogether.

**1/2 04.03.09 - Transamerica... 2005... Director Duncan Tucker

I remember when this film came out and what kind of Oscar buzz it had because of the performance of Felicity Huffman as the lead in the film. Huffman, plays a transsexual who on her way to reassignment surgery learns she has a son. Her performance in the film is very, very good and fun to watch.

The overall film, while not something to write home about... is a good, small little film. The DVD extras are interesting because there are interviews with the principals and I love when folks talk about the process of making the film, however I would have liked to see some more behind the scenes stuff. The blooper real is good though.

No comments: