Thursday, April 16, 2009

Just Off The Mark, But Not That Bad

**1/2 04.15.09 - Mallrats... 1995... Director Kevin Smith

This was the follow up film to, "Clerks" that didn't live up to the hype. Made for $6 Million dollars, Smith and his band of merry men had more money than they had ever had before, but it couldn't save this film.

For me, it's not as bad as many think. For me what killed this project more than anything is the casting of a couple of key people, specifically the lead Jeremy London as "TS" I don't think he delivered Smith's witty writing well at all. There were several times where he was more stiff than anything else.

The other problem I see with the film is that it got caught up between a couple of different genres and when that happens, you get in trouble right away. There are moments when I feel the film wants to be more of a John Hughes teen movie and others when they were trying to make a self-describe "Porky's" style of movie. It didn't work on either front.

The DVD has some really good extras, which has become one of the best parts about a Kevin Smith film, because he lets you inside of his head and process, which as a filmmaker again I totally appreciate.

I've been through three Smith films, one on my "Library List" project so far and while this is not my personal favorite or anywhere close to it, it certainly is not as bad as all of the critics have made it out to be in the past. It just misses the mark.

No comments: