Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Underrated... But Great!

***1/2 04.15.09 - Wildthings... 1998... Director John McNaughton

A wildly underrated film, Wildthings is a great modern day "Who Done It?" Strip the color out of this, take away some of the sexual stuff... which is hot... and you could drop this film in the 30's-40's or 50's and it would be dynamic! I will admit some times when I watch this, I feel like a dirty old man and you'll see why once you watch the film and may feel the same way.

The cast... outstanding! Denise Richards, Kevin Bacon, Neve Campbell, Matt Dillon and Bill Murray work together as a well oiled machine. The story is interesting, full of twists and turns and keeps you locked in from the first frame of the film! Make sure you watch through the credits because it's a part of the film and that's all I will say.

The DVD is OK, a couple of little things, but the bottom line, when you watch this film and finish it... you'll find yourself smiling!


** 04.14.09 - Julien Donkey-Boy... 1999... Director Harmony Korine

I believe in the Dogme 95 Principals of filmmaking and have made a film using them and this film is a Dogme 95 film. Director Harmony Korine does an interesting job of creating a look and feel to this film, which attempts to give you a look inside the world of someone with untreated schizophrenia.

Stylistically I think he does a good job of getting you into that world. However this film is not for everyone, it is often times hard to follow and on DVD hard to watch quality wise. I suspect on a larger screen perhaps is easier to view.

The DVD has some extras, in particular a behind the scenes talk with the director about the process of making the film and what he was trying to do and this was very helpful because I was able to understand more about where he was trying to take us with his film.

The biggest beef I have with this film and with the director is a statement he made during the extras segment of the DVD in which he said that he knew he wanted to shoot a lot of stuff because he didn't know exactly what he was shooting, but that if he had a enough he could find the story through editing and post.

I hate that kind of thinking and it offends me as a filmmaker. I realize that there are many different filmmaking styles, but the idea that you shoot without a plan or idea and just try to fix it in post pisses me off!

Overall an interesting film, but not my favorite Dogme 95 film by a long shot.

No comments: