Friday, May 8, 2009

A Classic To Remember!

**** 05.09.09 - Diner... 1982... Director Barry Levinson

First of all I can't believe this was made back in 1982! It's still a classic and is a great film. My Dad took me to see this film in 82, I would have been a junior in high school. I remember he really liked it and as I grew older I understood why... at the core... it's a guy film. Not a blow'em up shoot'em up kind of a film, but a film about guys and their relationships. It's male bonding at it's best and still stands up over time.

Barry Levinson's script is fantastic, but this film is made with it's cast. Levinson put together a group of people that were just starting out that were a perfect ensemble cast in every sense of the word. Think about it... Ellen Barkin, Mickey Rourke, Tim Daly, Steve Guttenberg, and Kevin Bacon just to name a few. When you look at this film and look at the cast list, you'll see everyone went on to have a successful career after this film.

The DVD has some pretty good stuff, including most of the cast telling stories about making the film. I would have loved to see some footage from back then as well, but the documentary is a good piece of the film to watch too because you hear from everyone.

Diner was a period film when it was made and a classic then that remains a classic today!

No comments: