Monday, May 4, 2009

Getting Caught Up













**** 05.03.09 - Godfather 1, 2, 3... 1992... Director Francis Ford Coppola

OK, I'm giving this an overall grade of four stars as a trilogy, but as individual films Godfather is a 5, Godfather II 4 and half and Godfather III, two and a half stars.

The casts are so amazing, with the exception of three and I think that's where the overall trilogy fails for me.

For me this is some of Coppola's best work. The first two films are spectacular and he could have stopped after that. The DVD is amazing, I have the special edition with a fourth DVD with all of the extras, including screen tests, it's so great!

When I watch one, I end up watching all three, even though the third one is not nearly as good as one and two, it's not as bad as everyone says.

Watch these films and enjoy what great movie making is about!

** 05.02.09 - Amateur... 1994... Director Hal Hartley


I am not sure why I picked this film up, but I did. Director Hal Hartley tells an interesting story but it feels stiff in certain parts. There are a lot of cameos from actors who have gone on to have bigger roles in the biz.

Although shot in the nineties, it feels almost feels like the eighties. The performances are not that strong, but visually some interesting shots. The DVD extras have a making of piece that is worth checking out to get a sense of where folks were coming from in this movie.

*** 05.01.09 - State and Main... 1992... Director David Mamet

First of all, I am a huge fan of David Mamet's writing and rhythm of speech in his films. Now add a huge cast with people like Rebecca Pidgeon, Alec Baldwin, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, and William H. Macy and you get a fun romp. (I think I may be in love with Pidgeon, I can see why Mamet married her and uses her in all of his work)

Being a filmmaker I love this film because it's about the filmmaking process and how crazy it can get at times. If you're looking for something fun to plug in and go... this is the film for you!

** 1/2 04.30.09 - Fetishes... 1996... Director Nick Broomfield

Bits and pieces are interesting. Broomfield gets into sessions and the life of mistresses and some subs/slaves. Would have love to see more about their home lives, but for the most part it gives you an idea of what the BDSM world is like from a professional take.

No comments: