Friday, May 22, 2009

Funny In Any Language!

**** 05.21.09 – Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown... 1988... Director Pedro Almadovar

I saw this film for the first time in one of my favorite theaters of all time, the "Minor" theater in Arcata, California. I remember seeing the trailer for it during another film and it just blew me away. The film lived up to the trailer and it still does today.

This was also my first Almadovar film and I've been a fan of his ever since. The story is great, the performances spot on and it's funny, as the film was starting I was thinking to myself I wonder how you can tell if the acting is really good because I don't speak Spanish so basically you're reading subtitles and I can't tell per say. Then the first part of the film... actually about folks doing voice over work for foreign films, dubbing English language films to Spanish.

Not at lot of extras on the DVD, but the trailer is there. You will notice a very young Antonio Banderas in a key supporting role in the film, so that's kind of nice.

This is the kind of film that if you have a glass of wine and cuddle up on the couch, it's a perfect date film! For the record however I watched it alone last night. :)

No comments: