Thursday, May 21, 2009

One Great... One Not So Great... You Make The Call!

* 05.20.09 – Breakfast at Tiffany’s... 1961... Director Blake Edwards

I have to admit, while I’ve always been aware of this film… Audrey Hepburn and all, I had never seen it. Further, I was aware of the fact that it came from a Truman Capote novella, also which I had never read.
My friend, who I’ll change here to “Edwina” to protect their identity, loves this film! It’s one of their favorites of all time and they saw the movie first, and then read the book.
Trying to shake things up in my world, thanks to a gift from “Edwina,” a copy of the novella Breakfast at Tiffany’s, I decided I would read the book first then see the movie… a little exercise if you will.
Well the book and the film are NOT THE SAME IN ANY WAY! Yes the titles are the same, the names of most of the characters are the same, and it does take place in the city so nice, they named it twice New York, NY, but after that the film crushed me. I was so excited about this plan, because I like Truman Capote and the images of Audrey Hepburn in this film are iconic, the film Directed by Blake Edwards veers so far away from the novella it’s not even funny to me.

When I read the novella I had an image in my mind about everything and the feeling of the book is much, much darker than the light and airy version of the film. I won’t go into too many details here, but if you do a little surfing around the Net, you will find that Capote did not like the treatment of his story at all on the screen and with good reason.

I understand the time period in which the film was made. I understand the “Hays Code” was in effect in Hollywood and that filmmakers were not going to be able to be as true to the novella as they should, but the changes they made to give it the old, “Hollywood Touch” stripped away the heart and soul of the picture. And the role Mickey Rooney played in the film… well all I will say about that is that it is one of the most racist I’ve ever seen.

The DVD extras are the strength of this film because they give you some insight into some of the changes, but after watching everything you’re definitely going to want to surf the web and get additional information.

My advice to you when it comes to this film… read the novella first, then see the film because that’s where it all began, afterwards… come to your own conclusions and see whether or not we’re really that far apart. Sorry “ Edwina”… although Hepburn DID look marvelous!


****1/2 05.19.09 – The Big Chill... 1983... Director Lawrence Kasdan
It had been some time since I last watched, “The Big Chill” and I was just in “that kind of a mood” when I pulled it out to screen it. And once again, it did not disappoint!

The writing… the screenplay stands out as much as the amazing cast in this film. The themes and subject matter in the film crosses generational lines and is today, still relevant.
The DVD extras are great, including a look back at the making of the film. Fun stories about what happened during their shoot and more, all worthwhile, including some deleted scenes from the final cut.

The “Big Chill” is the kind of movie you can turn on any time, sit back relax and relate it to your own life and enjoy.

No comments: