Friday, May 15, 2009

One Interesting Day of Films

*** 1/2 05.13.09 - Frankenstein... 1931... Director James Whale

I remember being a little kid and seeing this version of Frankenstein and being terrified! I was scared, but I loved it at the same time. The monster was amazing and Boris Karloff was the best! It was all a part of the Universal Monsters, Frankenstein, the Mummy, and the Werewolf. I loved them all, but Frankenstein was the one that kicked it off for me.

Director James Whale for the most part does a marvelous job of adapting Mary Shelly’s story to screen. There are some major jumps in the story and a lot of stuff left out that could have made the story and the film more complex, but I don’t think that was deal with films back then at this time.

Karloff is outstanding as the Monster, but as I look at it now the film holds up in some areas and in others stumbles a bit. The acting is very stiff, almost like if you were doing a parody of 1930’s acting, this is what it would be like. (Considering this was made in 1931, that make sense) The film is also surprisingly short, only 71 minutes long, barely a feature.

Now my DVD has some extras on it and the commentary by film historian Rudy Behlmer that accompanies the film is very good. I’ve just ordered the 75th Anniversary version of the film, because there are a couple of documentaries on the making of the film that I want to see, so I’ll update you when that comes in.

All in all, I still love the film and this was another influence in me becoming a filmmaker so it will always hold a special place in my heart.

** 05.13.09 - Sex with Strangers... 1002... Directors Harry and Joe Gantz

I am very open-minded about a lot of things and that includes sex, but for those in the “Swingers” lifestyle, I felt a little sorry for you with this documentary.

First, “Sex with Strangers,” does a pretty good job of following three different couples in the lifestyle and their ups and downs with it. I think it will give those on the outside looking in some interesting things to think about before they decide whether or not to try it.

But where the film falls a little short or rather scares me, is the fact that the couples in the film are all very, very scary . Kind of hard to really explain without offended a ton of people, but I think if you decide to see the film, you’ll get what I mean, but just remember ALL swingers are NOT like these folks! Lol

The DVD has some good extras and the guys who created HBO’s “Taxicab Confessions,” made this documentary so kudos to them for at least helping to expose this lifestyle to the world. The more we all see what’s out there in life, the more tolerant we can all be of each other.

No comments: