Thursday, May 7, 2009

Three's A Charm!

***1/2 05.07.09 - Any Given Sunday... 1999... Director Oliver Stone
Underrated as a film I think. Oliver Stone does one of the best jobs I've ever seen in giving you a look inside the pro football game.

There are too many to name in the cast and the cameos are sprinkled all over this picture, but the actors are perfect in this film. Cameron Diaz, someone I'm usually not a huge fan of, is brilliant in this film and and so is Lauren Holly as a pro football player's wife. Lawrence Taylor crushed players on the field in his day and crushed his role in this film as well.

There is a behind the scenes documentary on the making of the film which is fun to watch and the end of the film... I'll just say... stay until the end of the credits, Al Pacino makes an exit that NFL head coaches around the league would all like to do!

***1/2 05.06.09 - The King is Alive... 2000... Director Kristian Levring

The fourth film to use the "Dogme 95" rules of filmmaking, it's a very compelling piece. Director Kristian Levring had access to a very good cast and a location that is truly memorable.

The film, about a group of tourist stranded in the desert and while waiting to be saved, stage "King Lear" is really engaging from the opening shot.

Now I'm a huge fan of the Dogme rules, I've made a film with them... number 278 "Dog Me: Potluck" so I appreciate the use of the rules, but even if I hadn't embraced the philosophy I would really like this film.

As for the DVD, I wished there were some extras with it. I'd love to know what it was like to shoot this film, but all in all the film draws you in and it's a very, very solid piece of work.

**** 05.06.09 - Chasing Amy... 1997... Director Kevin Smith

This is my favorite Kevin Smith film. I think he went back to his roots and delivered a really strong story and got it in the can for $250,000.00 That's significant, because he had $6 Million to do "Mallrats" his second film and it's not as strong this one.

Joey Lauren Adams is fantastic and I think he did an amazing job getting performances out of Jason Lee and Ben Affleck.

The DVD extras are great and it's worth spending the time watching them afterwards.

No comments: